Ready for the Final Step?
Whether it’s been achieved by diet and exercise, through bariatric surgery, or from other forms of medical treatment, significant weight loss has a plethora of health benefits. But even after you lose weight, you may find that you still don’t have the shape you desire. Skin may be loose or sagging and, in many cases, body contours may be irregular.
If you are experiencing excessive sagging skin after dramatic weight loss, surgical body contouring may be a good solution for you. Body contouring following major weight loss reduces excess fat and skin that has developed in multiple body areas, giving patients a feeling of completeness in the weight loss journey and enhanced body image and confidence.
What is Body Contouring Surgery?
Being significantly overweight can cause stress to your body and overall health in many ways, including weakening the tissues and stretching the skin. Even after substantial weight loss has occurred, these effects may still be present. The loss of tissue elasticity can keep skin from conforming properly to the smaller body size, often leaving excess, sagging skin in multiple areas on the body.
Body contouring after weight loss can help improve the shape of the underlying tissue and remove extra loose skin. This process results in a more pleasing contour and significant reduction of sagging and bulging, achieving the last phase of the complete weight loss experience.
Am I a good candidate for body contouring?
Before you decide to undergo body contouring surgery, it’s important that you have achieved your stable body weight. Weight fluctuations after surgery can traumatize the already weakened skin or produce new sagging pockets.
In general, good candidates for body contouring are:
- Adults of any age whose weight loss has stabilized
- Healthy individuals without underlying medical conditions that may affect healing or increase surgery risks
- Individuals with positive outlook and realistic goals
Your Body Contouring Surgery
Depending on your goals and unique anatomy, a combination of procedures may be necessary to achieve your desired look. Dr. Samaha will work closely with you to design a body contouring plan that best suits your needs. Potential procedures may include:
- Lower body lift to address sagging and excessive skin on the abdomen, flanks, back, buttocks, and outer thighs
- Abdominoplasty to improve the contour of the abdomen alone, if the back and sides do not need attention
- Breast lift to correct the appearance of sloping, sagging breasts and downward-facing nipples. This can also be combined with Breast Augmentation to restore lost breast volume. Under some circumstances, existing breast tissue can be reshaped to restore breast fullness without the use of implants
- Arm lift to improve contours of the upper arms and remove excess skin
- Torsoplasty to address excessive skin folds of the chest and back.
- Thigh Lift to remove excessive skin draping along the inner thighs.
Your body contouring procedure(s) will be performed in Boston Plastic Surgery’s AAAASF-accredited surgery suite, unless you are undergoing extensive procedures that may require an overnight hospital stay. Although some procedures can be combined at the same setting, performing the procedures in stages generally allows for a safer approach and an easier recovery. Procedures can be performed under local anesthesia with sedation in many cases. General anesthesia is sometimes required for more extensive procedures. Dr. Samaha will work with you to select the approach that will help you achieve your goals, with safety as a primary concern, and keeping in mind your schedule requirements and lifestyle. He will then remove, lift, or tighten the problematic skin and tissue, contouring the body to a more pleasing shape.
Aftercare and recovery may vary depending on the necessary procedures. Read our aftercare instructions for body contouring procedures to learn more about your recovery process.
What Are You Waiting For?
Contact us today to schedule a consultation with Dr. Samaha and get started on the final stage of your transformative journey.