Take control of your body and your confidence and sculpt your dream figure with liposuction
Are you tired of dealing with the same problem areas year after year, despite a healthy lifestyle? Liposuction is one of the most popular, effective—and fastest—ways to remove excess fat and improve your body contour to sculpt the shape you want.
What is liposuction?
Liposuction is a minimally-invasive surgical procedure that removes unwanted fat from specific areas of the body. This body contouring procedure is typically performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation.Before & After »
Where can liposuction be performed?
If you are looking to get rid of stubborn fat in specific areas of your body, liposuction might be just what you need to meet your goals. While it is not an alternative to diet and exercise, Dr. Samaha uses liposuction (also known as lipectomy) to help slim and smooth selective areas of the body when eating right and working out aren’t cutting it. Liposuction can be performed on nearly all areas of the body to achieve a smoother contour, including:
Liposuction can be used as a standalone procedure for fat reduction or as part of a surgery plan.
Common procedures that incorporate liposuction
Liposuction is a versatile procedure that can be used in combination with other procedures to achieve a variety of cosmetic goals. Dr. Samaha incorporates liposuction in numerous facial and body contouring procedures, including:
- Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). Liposuction can remove excess fat from the abdomen before the abdominal muscles are tightened and excess skin removed to create a flatter, more toned midsection.
- Breast augmentation. In many cases, liposuction helps refine breast augmentation results by targeting small pockets of fat around the breasts, arms, and back area (bra bulges).
- Facelift. Liposuction can help achieve a more youthful-looking contour by removing excess fat from the neck (double chin) and jowl area before the skin and muscles of the face and neck are tightened.
- Mommy makeover. This procedure combines several body contouring surgeries, including liposuction, to achieve full body rejuvenation that appears completely natural.
For patients interested in combining liposuction with another procedure, Dr. Samaha will design a surgery plan optimized to achieve all your body contouring goals.
Am I a good candidate for liposuction?
You may be a good candidate for liposuction if you have one or all of the following indicators:
- Excess fat deposits in specific areas of the body that have not responded well to diet and exercise
- Good skin elasticity to allow the skin to contract and conform to the new body shape after fat removal
- Have realistic expectations about their results and are committed to maintaining a healthy lifestyle after surgery
- Generally healthy and not significantly overweight
Ideal liposuction candidates are patients who are non-smokers, as tobacco can negatively affect the body’s ability to heal. Good skin elasticity is also key, as it helps to ensure your results are aesthetically pleasing and meet your expectations.
Can men get liposuction?
Liposuction is the #1 cosmetic surgery for men for a number of reasons:
- To enhance a masculine physique. Liposuction can remove stubborn pockets of fat to reveal muscle definition and improve the overall appearance of the body.
- To treat gynecomastia. Men with gynecomastia, or enlarged breast tissue, may benefit from liposuction to remove excess fat from the chest area for improved self-confidence and quality of life.
- To improve athletic performance. Some men may choose liposuction to remove excess fat in problem areas that may be preventing them from achieving their fitness goals.
Be sure to choose a surgeon who is experienced in performing liposuction for men. Dr. Samaha is highly experienced in using liposuction to remove fat while also maintaining masculine contours for male patients.
What is the best technique for liposuction?
What liposuction techniques are available at Boston Plastic Surgery?
In addition to traditional tumescent liposuction, we offer Nutational Infrasonic Liposculpture (a.k.a. “Tickle Liposuction”), an energy-assisted technique that allows for very precise sculpting with reduced post-operative bruising and swelling for patients.
Tumescent liposuction vs. Nutational Infrasonic Liposculpture
Tumescent liposuction is the most common type of liposuction and involves injecting a large volume of a diluted local anesthetic solution into the fat layer. This solution also contains a drug that causes blood vessels to shrink and reduces bleeding during the procedure. Small incisions placed within the treatment area, followed by a cannula, which is used to suction out the fat. Tumescent liposuction can be performed under local or general anesthesia.
Nutational Infrasonic Liposculpture, or “tickle liposuction,” uses a special cannula that vibrates back and forth at a high frequency to break up and suction out fat cells. This technique does not require the use of a large volume of tumescent solution, which means there is less swelling and bruising after the procedure. Nutational Infrasonic Liposculpture is also designed to be less painful than traditional liposuction techniques.
Both techniques can be used to remove excess fat from specific areas of the body, but nutational infrasonic liposculpture may be a better option for patients who are looking for a less invasive and more comfortable procedure with a faster recovery time. Dr. Samaha will recommend the right technique for you during your consultation.
Liposuction surgery in Boston: what to expect from your fat removal procedure
When you choose to have your liposuction done at Boston Plastic Surgery, you will first receive a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Fouad Samaha. Dr. Samaha will sit down with you, explain the procedure prep, process, and recovery, and answer any questions you may have.
Depending on the area to be treated and the amount of fat to be removed, your surgical experience may vary. You will be placed under a general anesthetic for major procedures or a local anesthetic with sedation for more minor procedures. Surgery can last anywhere from 45 minutes to two hours, depending on your cosmetic goals.
After Dr. Samaha has made small incisions in the treatment area, he will inject a tumescent solution that targets the fatty tissue, making it easier to remove. Using a small tube called a cannula, he will dislodge and suction out the fat. Once the desired result is achieved, your incisions will be sutured shut and a dressing and surgical tape will be applied.
Here are some things for patients to keep in mind when considering liposuction surgery:
- Drain care. After your procedure, Dr. Samaha may place drainage tubes inserted to collect excess fluid build-up for a day or two.
- Pain management. You may experience some discomfort and pain after the surgery, which can easily be managed with medication.
- Compression garments. Compression garments should be worn for up to three weeks after treatment to help with contouring the body and ensuring proper healing.
- Rest and activity. You will need to rest for a few days after the surgery and gradually increase your activity level after Dr. Samaha has cleared you. Avoid strenuous exercise for at least 2-3 weeks.
- Swelling and bruising. You may experience swelling and bruising in the treated areas, which is normal and expected, and these effects will gradually subside over a few weeks.
- Follow-up appointments. It is important to attend all follow-up appointments with Dr. Samaha to ensure proper healing and so he can monitor your progress.
Read Dr. Samaha’s liposuction aftercare instructions to learn more about the recovery process.
Is lipo fat removal permanent?
If you maintain a healthy lifestyle after your procedure, fat should not return to the treated areas. That said, liposuction will not prevent new fat cells from forming, so maintaining your weight will help you enjoy your liposuction results for years to come!
How much does liposuction cost in Boston?
The cost of lipo depends on the number and size of the treatment areas and the extent of the procedure to achieve you body contouring goals. We can provide you with a cost estimate over the phone, and the exact cost of your procedure will be provided at your consultation.
If you are interested in plastic surgery but are concerned about the cost, we offer financing options to help you finance for your procedure. Financing allows our patients to make monthly payments over time, rather than paying the full cost of the procedure upfront.
Schedule your consultation with Dr. Samaha today
If you would like more information about the liposuction techniques our board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Samaha utilizes at Boston Plastic Surgery, we encourage you to contact us to set up a consultation today.