Minimally invasive skin tightening using the power of radiofrequency + cold helium plasma
Even those of us who do all the right things—wear SPF, eat a healthy diet, stick to a religious at-home skincare routine—can’t always battle signs of aging on our own. Traditionally, surgical lifting and tightening procedures like facelifts, eyelid surgery, and brow lifts were the only option for minimizing sagging skin and looking more youthful. But the last decade has brought us some truly remarkable cosmetic technology, helping provide stellar results without the cost, downtime, or discomfort of surgery.
Dr. Samaha and his talented team of medical aestheticians are always on the lookout for safe, effective solutions for patients who aren’t quite ready for surgery—and we’re excited to now offer Renuvion skin tightening.
- How does Renuvion work?
- Where can Renuvion be used?
- What happens during a Renuvion treatment?
- Does Renuvion skin tightening hurt?
- Can Renuvion be combined with other procedures?
- How long is recovery after Renuvion?
- What kind of Renuvion results can I expect?
How does Renuvion work?
Renuvion is the world’s first minimally invasive skin tightening treatment that combines two energy-based technologies: radiofrequency energy (RF) and cold helium plasma.
- RF energy has been used in the cosmetic medical industry for years and has a long, proven record of both safety and efficacy. RF works by heating the deep tissues under the skin’s surface to trigger an immediate contraction and prompt collagen production. It helps thicken, firm, and smooth skin over time for a natural improvement in tone, texture, and firmness.
- Cold helium plasma is created when helium gas is electrically charged and converted. The resulting plasma rapidly cools your skin as it is treated with RF, keeping you comfortable and protecting surrounding tissues.
The combination of these two energies—one to heat and one to cool—allows the Renuvion device to heat tissues to a much higher temperature than other RF devices. That means we are able to treat more severe sagging in a single treatment, provide improved and more drastic results, and minimize recovery while keeping you safe and comfortable.
Where can Renuvion be used?
Because the Renuvion device is so versatile, it can be used nearly anywhere on the body to improve the appearance of loose or sagging skin, crepiness, and even small areas of fat.
Common problem areas we often treat include:
- Upper face, including the around the eyes, forehead, and between the eyebrows
- Lower cheeks, jawline (jowls), and just under the chin
- Neck, chest, and décolletage
- Breasts or pectoral area
- Upper arms
- Inner and outer thighs
During your consultation, Dr. Samaha will evaluate your areas of concern to determine if Renuvion (or another non-surgical or surgical solution) is the best choice for providing you with optimal results. Although Renuvion is recognized as the most effective minimally-invasive skin tightening solution available, some patients with severe laxity or skin excess will still need a traditional surgical procedure for skin removal.
What happens during a Renuvion treatment?
If you and Dr. Samaha have agreed that Renuvion is a great choice for you, your procedure will be performed at our accredited plastic surgery center in Boston. While the procedure is considered minimally invasive, the great results we can achieve require small incisions so the Renuvion device can be inserted.
Depending on the severity of your concerns and area(s) being treated, your treatment may be performed under general anesthesia, local anesthesia with sedation, or local-only anesthetic. Dr. Samaha will discuss which form of anesthesia he recommends as he develops your treatment plan.
Once you are fully anesthetized and comfortable, Dr. Samaha will strategically make one or more tiny incisions in the treatment area, through which the Renuvion probe will be inserted just beneath the surface of the skin. This allows for precise, targeted treatment. Once inserted, the probe will emit RF energy to deeply heat the underlying tissues while the cold helium plasma simultaneously helps transmit the RF energy and cools the tissues.
During this process, Dr. Samaha will control the temperature, timing, and location of the device to make sure you receive a safe, effective treatment. When your procedure is finished, you’ll be able to return home with a bandage over the incision sites. Depending on where you received treatment, Dr. Samaha may also recommend a compression garment to minimize swelling and support optimal healing and results.
Does Renuvion skin tightening hurt?
You should not feel any discomfort during your Renuvion procedure. You will either be fully numb from a local anesthetic or under sedation or general anesthesia.
After your treatment—and once the anesthetic wears off—it’s normal to feel localized soreness and swelling. This can last a few days, though this discomfort is typically relatively mild and short-lived, and is similar to what is normally experienced from a liposuction procedure.
Can Renuvion be combined with other procedures?
Yes! In fact, we’ve found that Renuvion can help enhance results from a number of other procedures, both surgical and minimally invasive.
- Renuvion + Liposuction. Liposuction is one of the most effective ways to slim down areas of stubborn fat virtually anywhere on the body—but it does not impact skin elasticity. Patients who have poor skin elasticity from childbirth, aging, or weight loss may not get the results they want with liposuction alone. Renuvion can help smooth and tone areas that have been treated with liposuction.
- Renuvion + CoolSculpting. Those who have smaller areas of bothersome fat can achieve a beautiful, taut contour by combing CoolSculpting non-surgical fat reduction with Renuvion.
- Renuvion + Skin Resurfacing. While Renuvion does help improve skin quality, patients who are concerned about sagging facial skin and wrinkles, dark spots, or sun damage will be pleased with the overall improvement this power duo can provide.
- Renuvion + Open Surgery. Renuvion can also be used in combination with traditional (“open”) surgical procedures when targeted skin tightening is desired, in such areas as the neck, male chest, and others.
The options are virtually limitless! During your consultation, we can explore solutions and develop a customized treatment plan for you.
How long is recovery after Renuvion?
You can expect to take it easy for a few days after your treatment, though you will not be bed-ridden by any means. Our patients who receive full-face treatments or targeted treatment of larger areas report that they typically feel comfortable socializing and getting back to all of their normal activities after about a week.
What kind of Renuvion results can I expect?
Radiofrequency skin tightening is such a popular skin tightening option because results appear in two waves:
- An immediate skin contraction and improvement in skin texture and firmness that takes shape within just a few days.
- Long-term, gradual tightening and continued skin quality improvement over several months as swelling minimizes and your body creates new collagen in the area.
You can expect to start getting excited about noticeable results after a month or two—and these results should last for a long time to come. That’s because Renuvion triggered natural tissue remodeling and collagen-building in the area. Your results will not wear off; rather, you’ll enjoy a younger look and hit rewind on the aging process.
Because the natural aging process will continue, many patients opt for maintenance treatments once a year or so to keep their youthful look for years.