4 Med Spa Treatments to Refresh Dull & Dry Skin This WinterPosted on February 3, 2023 | by Boston Plastic Surgery
Skin looking a little lackluster lately? You’re not alone. Many people notice their skin tends to be more dull and dry during the winter months. Frigid winter air can be quite dehydrating; indoor heat also sucks moisture out of your skin. Crisp winter weather can also cause skin to become irritated and inflamed.
If you are experiencing dull, dry skin this winter, there are a few simple things you can do at home to help:
- Exfoliate regularly. Exfoliating your skin helps to remove dead cells and dirt from the surface, leaving it looking brighter and smoother. Try using a gentle exfoliant twice a week.
- Drink plenty of water. This one might seem like a no-brainer, but drinking plenty of water is essential for keeping our skin healthy from the inside out. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses per day.
- Use a humidifier. When the air is dry, our skin tends to become even drier. Using a humidifier can help to add moisture to the air and prevent this from happening.
- Step up your moisturizing routine. Quality moisturizers for your face, lips, and body are essential; consider stepping up to richer formulations for the season and apply frequently.
Want to take things a step further? If you are still struggling to maintain a healthy, hydrated glow this winter, there are also several simple medical spa treatments that can help refresh your skin.
1. Chemical Peel for a Healthy Glow
Don’t be fooled by the name—while “chemical peel” may sound like something harsh that should be avoided if you have dry, irritated skin, chemical peels are actually a great option for those who are looking to gently restore their skin’s health. They work by removing superficial dead skin cells, which reveals a fresh, healthy layer of skin underneath. Because sun exposure should be carefully avoided in the weeks following a skin peel, chemical peels are especially suitable for use in the winter months when days are shorter.
We offer a number of chemical peels at our Boston Skin Wellness Center; glycolic peels and lactic acid peels in particular are wonderful for sensitive skin in winter:
Glycolic acid is an alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA), and one the mildest of the chemical peel formulas. Glycolic peels can help address a number of skin concerns, but are powerhouses for those with dry skin, as they are especially effective at removing dead skin cells and restoring a healthy glow to the complexion.
Lactic Acid Peel
Lactic acid is another popular AHA that’s commonly used as a chemical exfoliant in skincare products and treatments. Lactic acid peels are known for their hydrating benefits, as they gently smooth and exfoliate without the resulting dryness or irritation that sometimes occurs following other peel treatments. The lactic acid peel is a perfect choice for those with sensitive skin.
Choosing Your Chemical Peel
While chemical peels are gentle and safe, it’s still important to choose the right option for your skin and goals. Be sure to choose a qualified provider who has proven experience treating your skin type and concerns. They should carefully assess your skin and determine whether your skin would be better suited for a milder chemical peel (like the two mentioned above), or a more intensive peel, such as the VI Peel.
2. Vivace™ RF Microneedling for a Quick Refresh
It’s no surprise Vivace™ Radiofrequency Microneedling is one of the most-requested treatments here at Boston Plastic Surgery: it can reduce wrinkles, tighten your skin, fade sun damage and acne scars, and more—all with no downtime! This revolutionary treatment combines microneedling, radiofrequency (RF), and LED to stimulate natural collagen production, tighten skin, and reduce inflammation to give your skin an all-over improved appearance.
Microneedling with radiofrequency is proven to treat the following common skin concerns on the face, neck, hands or body:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Sun damage and hyperpigmentation
- Acne scars
- Surgical scars
- Stretch marks
- Mild skin sagging on the neck and jowls
You may begin to see results within a few days after your treatment, with full results visible a few months later. It’s the perfect treatment for anyone looking to emerge from winter with an enviable glow!
Vivace vs other microneedling treatments
Like other microneedling treatments available today, Vivace induces your skin’s natural healing process by creating miniscule openings in the skin with tiny needles. As a natural response to these “micro injuries”, your skin builds new collagen and elastin and also increases cell turnover, thus resulting in a smoother, more even complexion that is revealed in the weeks following your treatment.
At Boston Plastic Surgery, we prefer Vivace over other microneedling procedures for three key reasons:
- Radiofrequency can tighten your skin, while traditional microneedling alone does not. Vivace integrates radiofrequency into your microneedling treatment by delivering controlled heat through the micro needles. The unique microneedling + RF energy combo further enhances collagen production to help you quickly achieve more flawless, firmer skin.
- Vivace is virtually painless. While other microneedling devices can uncomfortably snag or tear skin during treatment, Vivace’s 36 super-fine needles are applied with the assistance of a robotic motor, which results in a more precise, even application. All of our Vivace patients receive a numbing cream beforehand, and can go right back to their normal day after their treatment.
- LED technology calms redness and reduces inflammation. If microneedling and RF still aren’t enough for you, Vivace also incorporates LED light therapy into your treatment. LED is proven to calm inflammation and neutralize bacteria that can lead to acne breakouts in the skin. Vivace’s red and blue LED wavelengths can also help speed up your healing time after each treatment, so any redness will fade faster and allow you to see your results sooner.
3. CoolPeel to Treat Tired-Looking Skin
If you are seeking a slightly more intensive refresh, a CoolPeel laser treatment may be just what you need. CoolPeel is a gentle treatment that, unlike many other laser treatments, requires no numbing agents and has little-to-no downtime.
CoolPeel gets its name from the way it delivers intense pulses of light without the heat inherent to other lasers. The CoolPeel treatment works by using a non-ablative Tetra CO2 laser to create miniscule openings in the skin to prompt your body’s natural healing response. Your body then supplies the treated area with collagen, which results in a lasting glow that continues to improve in the 3-4 days following the treatment. We typically recommend our Boston CoolPeel patients undergo 2-3 treatments for the best results.
Tip: Boost Results with CoolPeel + Vivace RF Microneedling
We love to pair CoolPeel with Vivace™ RF Microneedling for dramatic skin rejuvenation. Just like CoolPeel, Vivace is quick, painless, and has no downtime. Together, the two treatments are the gold standard for quick and effective skin rejuvenation.
4. HydraFacial Treatment for Medical-Grade Hydration
If you’re in need of a deep hydration treatment this winter, look no further than the HydraFacialMD®. This soothing medical-grade treatment uses a calibrated stream of water to gently exfoliate and flush out impurities, while also delivering powerful anti-aging serums to help give your skin a fresh start.
Each HydraFacial MD treatment includes 5 steps:
- Vortex™-Exfoliation to remove dead skin cells
- Vortex™-Peel to gently slough away damaged outer layers of skin
- Vortex™-Extraction to unblock clogged pores
- Vortex™-Boost to hydrate and firm the skin
- Vortex™-Fusion to infuse protective antioxidant serums
HydraFacial treatments are safe and effective for all skin types. Not only does the treatment minimize sun damage and signs of aging, but it restores a healthy glow without the use of harsh abrasives, chemicals, or heat—thus making it the ideal treatment for sensitive skin during the dry winter months. Plus, it only takes 30 minutes to complete, provides immediately visible results with zero downtime, and feels incredibly refreshing—perfect for dry skin in need of some extra hydration!
HydraFacial works quickly: its results are noticeable immediately and the post-treatment glow lasts up to 7 days, so time your treatment with any upcoming holiday social events or winter weddings in mind!
HydraFacial restores a healthy glow without the use of harsh abrasives, chemicals, or heat—thus making it the ideal treatment for sensitive skin during the dry winter months.
Maintain Your Skin’s Health This Winter
If you are struggling to restore your skin’s vibrancy this winter and could use a little extra help with finding the best treatment for you, visit our Skin Wellness Center in Boston. Our team of licensed Aestheticians, Aesthetic Nurse Specialists, and Nurse Practitioners at Boston Plastic Surgery are here to help you come up with a custom plan to get your skin glowing and radiant—even in the dry winter months. We provide a variety of medical-grade skincare products and treatments such as laser treatments, microdermabrasion, and micropeels that will give your skin an instant boost.
Under the direction of board certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Fouad Samaha, we proudly serve Quincy, MA and the surrounding areas. Call our practice at (617) 786-7600 or contact us online to schedule a skin consultation so that we can determine which treatment would be the most beneficial for you!