More Couples Getting Cosmetic Surgery TogetherPosted on June 27, 2011 | by Boston Plastic Surgery
With more men taking advantage of plastic surgeries and cosmetic procedures, plastic surgeons across the country are witnessing a growing phenomenon that was rare just a few years ago: more couples are appearing to double up on procedures.
The nation’s recovery from the economic recession has ushered many men into plastic surgeons’ offices, often for the first time, according to Chris Ramirez of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. While women still account for about 80 percent of plastic surgery patients, the number of male patients ballooned from 1997 to 2010 by 88 percent. The most popular procedures among male plastic surgery patients include Botox, liposuction, and rhinoplasty.
Marsha and Mike Gavula, two 50-year-olds from Evans City, PA, are just one of the couples that have appeared at the doors of plastic surgery. Mike recently opted for Botox and wrinkle-erasing injections for the first time on his 50th birthday, while Marsha has previously enjoyed chemical peels, dermabrasion, and other minimally invasive procedures.
According to the Tribune-Review, one Pittsburgh-area medical spa has reported that it serves nearly 30 couples each year, compared with roughly six couples per year in the mid-2000s.
A number of factors are driving this increase in couples’ surgery:
- As the baby boomer generation continues to age, plastic surgery has begun to lose its stigma.
- Surgery is no longer the main option, as minimally invasive procedures such as Botox and laser skin resurfacing have become more refined and widely available.
- Recovery times have been significantly reduced, since new techniques such as the VASER LipoSelection process have proven their ability to reduce tissue trauma, swelling, and bruising.
- By having their procedures around the same time, couples can support one another by alternating care and recovery.
- Many older men feel that they want to appear more youthful in order to remain competitive in a younger workplace. Injectable fillers such as Juvéderm offer results on the same day that last for months.